REAL COMBAT MEDIA WEEKLY BOXING REPORT
By Jason Gonzalez,Real Combat Media Arizona Boxing Correspondent
Welcome back to another edition of the Real Combat Media Boxing Weekly Report “Boxing Blaze Edition” where we cover all the top news stories in boxing each week!
Monday (January 9, 2017)
IBF Featherweight Champion Lee Selby is set to defend his title against Jonathan Victor Barros at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas on January 28, 2017. The fight will be the main event on a Showtime Extreme card. This will be Selby’s third title defense since he won his title back in 2015. At the press conference for the fight Selby expressed his excitement for the fight saying he has always wanted to fight in Las Vegas for a world title.
“It’s been a dream of mine since I was a young kid to box in a world title fight in Las Vegas, the mecca of boxing,” said Selby, who is making his Las Vegas debut. “I’ve seen U.K. fighters like Lennox Lewis, Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe and Amir Khan box in Las Vegas and I always knew that’s where I wanted to fight. My mandatory challenger is experienced, dangerous and I will not take him lightly. I’ve had a strong training camp and I am 100 percent focused on putting on a show for the American fans and the traveling fans from the U.K. My number one objective is to bring my world title back to Wales.”
Tuesday (January 10, 2017)
Fans having been asking and begging for a fight between Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford but instead it looks like Pacquiao might be fighting Jeff Horn. Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter, can make the biggest and best fights with Pacquiao but instead chooses to put him against a man who is widely unknown to the boxing world. Negotiations are pointing towards a fight between Pacquiao and Horn in Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, Australia on April 22, 2017. On the bright side, Bob Arum is talking about making the fight free to watch.
“Our preference is to have it free for customers in the United States,” Arum said. “But if that’s not possible, if nobody will step up to the plate and do it – it’s not only HBO – then what we do is maybe put on some of our fighters from the United States and do a split-site type of event and put it on pay-per-view.”
Wednesday (January 11, 2017)
Gennady Golovkin is set to fight against Daniel Jacobs on March 18, 2017 at the Madison Square Garden. Golovkin was hoping to fight Saul “Canelo” Álvarez next but ended up choosing Jacobs after Canelo said his body wasn’t ready for 160 lbs. When asked about the Canelo fight in an interview Golovkin said “Too much talking, just too much talking last year. It’s not interesting.” Golovkin went on to talk about possible future opponents which included Canelo, Chavez Jr, Froch, Saunders, and Eubank Jr. Even though those fighters are possible for the near future he made sure that he is focused on Jacobs.
“Right now, I see Daniel and he really wants this fight. So I said,’OK, OK, this is my motivation.’ It’s not ‘Canelo’, ‘Canelo’ maybe future. I’m not interested, right now,” said Golovkin. Since it looks like Canelo doesn’t want to fight anytime soon, Golovkin might end up fighting Billy Joe Saunders to go after the only belt left that Golovkin has not acquired at middleweight.
Thursday (January 12, 2017)
Errol Spence is the mandatory for Kell Brook’s IBF title and it looks like Spence is making sure he gets his title shot. For a while it wasn’t clear whether Brook was going to move up in weight or if he was going to stay at 147 lbs and defend his title. Brook is also looking into fighting against Amir Khan but the more time goes by the less likely it looks like that fight will come into fruition. It is looking more and more likely that Spence will be Brook’s next fight.
“Kell is back in training, but he’s not able to spar yet, so we’ve requested a further four weeks from the IBF for negotiations [with Spence],” Brook’s promoter, Eddie Hearn told scribe Nick Parkinson.
“We’re speaking to Khan. It could be Khan, if he wants it, but we can’t promise that will happen. He wants a warm-up fight, and we want to go straight into it. Our priority is to listen to the IBF on who we have to fight, and they are telling us that will be Spence. I don’t want to annoy the IBF about it. In 28 days we will start negotiations. It [Brook’s next fight] will happen in May, and in the UK I expect. We’ve got 75 percent of the purse bid to play with, so I can’t see us losing that.”
Friday (January 13, 2017)
Saul “Canelo” Álvarez is set to face the son of a legend Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on May 6, 2017 at a venue not yet determined. The fight was first announced on the official twitter page of Oscar De La Hoya; Oscar De La Hoya is Canelo’s promoter. This fight was something that no one saw coming. Canelo had said for the longest time that he belongs at 154 lbs and therefore will not go up to 160 lbs to fight Gennady Golovkin. Therefore, it was a surprise when reports came out saying Canelo was negotiating a fight with Chavez Jr at 165 lbs. Even though the original negotiations called for a catch weight at 165 lbs the fight ultimately ended up at 164.5 lbs.
For the first time in a long time Canelo will the smaller fighter in the ring being that he will be moving up ten pounds since his last fight. Will Canelo’s skill be enough to beat the bigger fighter Chavez Jr? Or will Chavez Jr’s size and power be too much for Canelo?
Saturday (January 14, 2017)
In the main event Super Middleweight Champions Badou Jack and James DeGale fought a close fight that was scored a majority draw. The fight consisted of a lot of give and take from both of the fighters. In the first round Jack was knocked down with only 30 seconds to go. The two truly tested themselves throughout the fight. In the twelfth round DeGale was knocked half way into the round. The final scorecards read 114-112 for DeGale and 113-113 twice. If Degale hadn’t been dropped in the twelfth round he would have won the fight by unanimous decision.
UPDATE: The day after the fight Badou Jack said he wants a rematch but at 175 lbs pounds instead of 168 lbs.
Sunday (January 15, 2017)
Earlier this week Dana White, the current owner of the UFC, made an offer to Floyd Mayweather" class="aalmanual" target="_blank" href="https://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/player/Floyd_Mayweather_Jr.?utm_source=Shareasale&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_term=kw--Floyd_Mayweather_Memorabilia|cpn--no_coupon|offer--no_offer&utm_content=L--Boxing|t--all_boxing|p--Floyd_Mayweather_Jr.|pc--Collectibles_and_Memorabilia|ag--NoGender&utm_campaign=dest--www_sportsmemorabilia_com|creatv--Text_Link|date--9142015|geo--NoGeo&SSAID=720398&sscid=41k3_3sw5v">Floyd Mayweather to fight Conor McGregor in a boxing ring. White offered $25 million for Mayweather and $25 million for McGregor and a percentage of the pay-per-view money. Mayweather says there is no way that he would take so little money. He went on to say that even though $25 million is not bad money, that he hasn’t made so little since the Oscar De La Hoya fight that was ten years ago. Mayweather didn’t stop there, he went on to make fun of White saying that White use to carry Mayweather’s bags for him. As of now there is no indications that there is actual negotiations going on between the two fighters but it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility with so much talk going on.
Monday (January 16, 2017)
Middleweight contenders David Lemieux (36-3) and Curtis Stevens (29-5) are scheduled to fight against each other on March 11, 2017 on HBO. The two boxers will be fighting in Verona, New York at the Turning Stone Resort Casino. Both fighters are largely known for fighting against middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin. Neither of the fighters we’re able to get past the eighth round against Golovkin. The two fighters are at point in their career where they need a big win to get them back in the spotlight. Both Lemieux and Stevens currently seem to be evenly skilled which makes for a good fight.
Please stay tuned every week for news and updates. If you have any questions that you want answered in the weekly report please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Twitter @boxingblaze or on Facebook at Jason Gonzalez.
ABOUT REAL COMBAT MEDIA: Real Combat Media was founded in 2012. Since then realcombatmedia.com has become one of the most efficient premier international boxing and mixed martial arts online publications in the world. Our talented international team covers the latest combat news on a daily basis to provide the combat community with the best news in the industry for our readers. Our mission is to spread positive awareness of the combat sports to grow interest among the mainstream and to every region of the world.