Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
YouTube
YouTube
Pinterest
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram
RSS

REAL COMBAT MEDIA WEEKLY BOXING REPORT

By Jason Gonzalez,Real Combat Media Arizona Boxing Correspondent

Welcome back to another edition of the Real Combat Media Boxing Weekly Report “Boxing Blaze Edition” where we cover all the top news stories in boxing each week!

Monday (June 12, 2017)

Brandon Rios Returns

Brandon Rios knocked out Aaron Herrera on Sunday night after Rios had been absent from the ring since 2015. Rios knocked down Herrera down in the seventh round of the fight with a blow to the body; Herrera wasn’t able to get up. Rios was all war during this fight just as boxing fans remember him. Now that Rios is back it looks like he will be more active in the ring. “This is a new beginning and a new chapter in the book that I’m writing,” said Rios. “We’re ready to move forward from here. I’m ready for the next challenge.”

Tuesday (June 13, 2017)

Daniel Franco Additional Surgery

Last week on Saturday a fight by the name of Daniel Franco was knocked out by Jose Haro. The fight was stopped immediately and Franco was rushed to the hospital to undergo surgery to stop two brain bleeds. Franco’s father Al Franco said that his son is got additional surgery.

“Daniel had emergency surgery last night to repair bleeding in the epidural hematoma region of the brain. His initial surgery was to repair bleeding in the subdural hematoma area,” said Al Franco.

“The doctors decided to keep part of his skull off this time to help with the pressure.. It will remain off for at least six weeks and he will continue to be monitored under strict doctor supervision. Please continue to pray for him. Continue saying his name, just help sending positive vibes out. My family and I appreciate everyone’s love and support in our darkest times.
“I personally have never felt this much love, fear and pain in my life. I’m lost but I have to maintain as strong as I can be. I will continue to keep everyone posted and please continue sharing his go fund me page. Thank you all from the bottom of my broken heart.”

Wednesday (June 14, 2017)

Garcia vs Broner at Barclays

Recently the fight between Adrien Broner and Mikey Garcia became official for July 29th on Showtime. The only thing that was missing was a venue. Today they announced that the fight will be at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. This fight will define the career of both fighters. A loss to either one would critically damage their career. If Broner loses he might take a bigger loss. People are losing faith in Broner therefore a win on July 29th is what he needs to prove to everyone that he can still beat the best.

Thursday (June 15, 2017)

Mayweather vs McGregor OFFICIAL

The king of boxing Floyd Mayweather will officially be fighting against UFC fighter Conor McGregor on August 26th with a venue to be determined. The two fighters announced the fight on instagram. The fight is sure to produce millions in revenue but will it surpass the PPV numbers that Mayweather vs Pacquiao did? One thing is for sure and that is that Mayweather will have an easy fight come August 26th. A lot of people are hoping that McGregor will win based on a punchers chance but those chances are slim to none. Mayweather is dedicated to his craft and is one of the hardest targets to hit in boxing. If McGregor wins this fight it will be the biggest upset in boxing history.

Friday (June 16, 2017)

Diamond Belt For Mayweather vs McGregor?

Nothing is set in stone yet but WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman is saying that a WBC Diamond belt is not out of the question for the fight.

“Maybe, I don’t know. I’m not against it. Of course this is a WBC board decision but we have to celebrate that boxing is having world attention regardless,” Sulaiman said to scribe Nick Parkinson.

“We need to receive from the promoter if they want any intervention from a boxing organisation. We do medicals, we do drug testing, weigh-ins and specific boxing matters that helps the promoter with the organisation to conduct safely an event. We haven’t received anything yet and we don’t know what Mayweather wants to do.”

Do you think that the WBC should get involved?

Saturday (June 17, 2017)

Ward Stops Kovalev!

Andre Ward continues to the champion at 175 lbs after knocking out Sergey Kovalev in the eighth round of the fight. Ward hurt Kovalev in the eighth round of the fight and trapped him to the corner. Not much later the referee stopped the fight. Regardless of the results, boxing has yet another controversial ending to add to the long list. The question now is, was this a fair stoppage? It looked like the last three punches Ward through before the stoppage were all under the belt. To the referee it must have looked on the belt but after looking at the replay it looks a bit low. There will be fans going crazy over this decision just like they did in the first fight. Do you want to see a rematch?

Rigondeaux Wins Controversial Decision

Guillermo Rigondeaux has just won by first round knockout against Moises Flores who before this fight was a champion at the 122 pound division. At the very end of the round the two fighters were exchanging punches and in the moment the bell rang, and Rigondeaux landed a punch which knocked out Flores. The referee wasn’t too sure whether punch landed before or after the bell therefore he had to look at a replay several times to make a decision. After a while the head of the NSAC, Nevada State Athletic Commission, got involved. The head of the NSAC made a call to someone at HBO and together they decided that the punch landed before the bell. Then the referee proceeded to call it a knockout win for Rigondeaux. HBO commentators made it clear that the punch did in fact land after the bell. Jim Lampley interviewed the head of the NSAC after the fight asking if the ruling could be reversed after re watching the tape. The head of the NSAC said they are more than willing to change the decision if needed because they want the correct boxer to win the fight. What do you think of the decision?

Sunday (June 18, 2017)

Kathy Duva Files Protest To NSAC

Sergey Kovalev’s promoter Kathy Duva is furious that the fight was stopped from three low blows and will be filing a complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Duva claimed that on the night of the fight she asked the head of the NSAC to review an instant replay of technical knockout to see if Kovalev had been fouled by Ward but her request was denied.

“[Kovalev] got hit with three low blows, four actually, in the last round,” Duva said. “We asked the commission for an instant replay analysis. They did not give it to us. We will file a protest on Monday. If you look at the instant replay, which the commission refused to look at tonight, you see the back of Sergey’s cup go up one, two, three times. I’ve never seen someone knocked out on a low blow until tonight. And I have to say, I hope I never have to see it again.

“When the fight ended, Sergey was up on one of the cards and he was down by a point on the other two. The fight was very close. At the beginning of the round, a low blow was thrown. The referee did not protect Sergey. He waved him back to fight. Then the damage started happening. He got into that corner and he [was hit with] three low blows. When you see the replay, they’re hard to miss. It’s a shame. It’s a shame.”

Please stay tuned every week for news and updates. If you have any questions that you want answered in the weekly report please email me at jasongonzalez@realcombatmedia.com or follow me on Twitter @boxingblaze or on Facebook at Jason Gonzalez.

ABOUT REAL COMBAT MEDIA: Real Combat Media was founded in 2012. Since then realcombatmedia.com has become one of the most efficient premier international boxing and mixed martial arts online publications in the world. Our talented international team covers the latest combat news on a daily basis to provide the combat community with the best news in the industry for our readers. Our mission is to spread positive awareness of the combat sports to grow interest among the mainstream and to every region of the world.

JOIN REAL COMBAT MEDIA

REAL COMBAT MEDIA BOXING & MMA PUBLICITY SERVICES

REAL COMBAT MEDIA BOXING RANKINGS

Share

COMMENTS

COMMENTS

Jason Gonzalez - Arizona/Nevada Boxing Correspondent
Arizona/Nevada Boxing Correspondent
Jason covers the major boxing events and conducts exclusive interviews in the Arizona and Nevada region since 2015. Jason is also the owner of the brand, The Boxing Blaze which conducts English and Spanish boxing commentary on the Real Combat Media you tube channel. You can follow Jason on Twitter @theboxingblaze, on Facebook at Jason Gonzalez or contact him by email at jasongonzalez@realcombatmedia.com.