For Immediate Release
REAL COMBAT MEDIA WEEKLY BOXING REPORT
By Jason Gonzalez,Real Combat Media Arizona Boxing Correspondent
Welcome back to another edition of the Real Combat Media Boxing Weekly Report “Boxing Blaze Edition” where we cover all the top news stories in boxing each week!
Sunday (September 18, 2016)
Canelo’s hand examined and a possible move in weight
On September 17, 2016 Saul Canelo Alvarez knocked out Liam Smith in the 9th round with a hook to the body. After the fight during the post fight interview with HBO Canelo revealed that his right hand was hurt in the second round. During the post fight press conference Canelo had his right hand wrapped making many curious about the condition of his hand. According to Canelo and his team it looks like he has a bruised knuckle but it they are going to get his hand checked out by a doctor the day after the fight. Canelo is scheduled to fight on December 10th against an opponent to be determined but if his hand is badly injured they will have to move the fight date.
Another thing thing Canelo revealed during the post fight press conference was that his fight Smith was most likely his last fight at 154 lbs division. According to Canelo he always wanted to leave the division a champion “We’ve always said all along that if I ever leave the 154-pound division, I’m going to leave as champion. I think I did it.” Later on he was more specific on whether or not he was moving weight classes “Right now the way I feel, this is probably my last fight at 154,” he said. “I’ll fight the best, all the best champions at 160.”
Golovkin and His promoter
After Saul Canelo Álvarez defeated Liam Smith on September 17, 2016 he had a post fight interviewed by HBO commentator Max Kellerman. During the interview Canelo was asked about a highly anticipated fight with Gennady Golovkin; Canelo said that his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, offered the fight to Golovkin two or three time and Golovkin declined. Now Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler denies that they were offered the fight “It looks like they have a team code to tell lies.” Loeffler later went on to say “We are very surprised by Canelo’s comments. And how we’re supposed to respect him and his team?” Hours after the fight Golovkin posted a picture on his Instagram account saying “I didn’t expect that Smith punched so hard and that Canelo would talk that nonsense after the fight.” As of right now it is not clear if Canelo’s team really did or did not offer Golovkin’s team the fight. If they did offer the fight is it possible that Golovkin’s team said no because it was a bad offer? You know it.
Monday (September 19, 2016)
Canelo fractured hand, No December Fight
During a post fight interview with HBO Saul Canelo Álvarez claimed he hurt his hand in the second round against Liam Smith. Since then Canelo has gone to the doctor where they took x-rays and also conducted a CAT scan on his right hand. The result are now in and it turns out Canelo’s thumb is fractured and he will not be able to use his right hand for about six weeks. This means he will not be fighting on December 6th which he was scheduled for against an opponent to be determined. Canelo will most likely make his return to the ring in May of 2017 but nothing is guaranteed.
Porter interested in Berto
The last time Shawn Porter stepped into the ring he lost to Keith Thurman by unanimous decision in a fight some think could have gone the other way. Now Porter has come out and said that he wants the rematch against Thurman, but if he doesn’t get the Thurman fight he wants to fight against Garcia or any of the other champions at the 147lbs division. Another opponent Porter’s team is looking into is Andre Berto who has just come off of a victory against Victor Ortiz. For a while it looked like Berto was going to fight Danny Garcia but Garcia decided to start negotiations with John Molina instead. Now that Berto has no opponent he is now free to negotiate a fight with Porter.
Shawn Porter’s dad, Kenny porter, has also expressed interest in a fight against Berto or a rematch with Thurman. “If Berto doesn’t have a dance partner we would gladly take that fight.” said Kenny Porter. “Same with Keith Thurman. We want that rematch and want those big fights.”
Provodnikov to Return?
When Ruslan Provodnikov lost against John Molina Jr in June of 2016 it looked like Provodnikov might have been calling it quits. Arthur Pelullo, Provodnikov’s promoter, says that Provodnikov will be taking the rest of the year off but the two will be talking soon on what will happen with Provodnikov’s career. Pelullo hopes to see Provodnikov fight once more to see him retire with a win. If Provodnikov returns Pelullo wants to see the same intensity he had when fighting against Timothy Bradley and Mike Alvarado.
Tuesday (September 20, 2016)
Jarrell Miller splits from promoter
Jarrell Miller (18-0-1) is currently one of the best up and coming fighters in the heavyweight division, if you haven’t heard of him yet you soon will. In his last fight Miller fought Fred Kassi and the fight ended in the 3rd round when Kassi couldn’t go on any longer. Now Miller is parting ways with his promoter. Miller has sent out a letter to his promoter and the public where he talks about leaving Salita Promotions. In the letter he says that there are several reasons why he left but one of them being that he was not getting paid his minimum purse that was agreed on. According to Miller’s attorney, in the letter it said that Miller is now “free to seek other opportunities in furtherance of his career.” Meaning he can now fight or sign with any promotions he wishes to be with.
Povetkin and Stiverne in Negotiations
As of right now Alexander Povetkin and Bermane Stiverne have one thing in common: WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder. Early this year Povetkin was scheduled to fight against Deontay Wilder in May but Povetkin tested positive for a drug named Meldonium and the fight was canceled. Since then Povetkin has been cleared for any intentional wrongdoing by WBC. Bermane Stiverne on the other hand lost the heavyweight WBC belt to Wilder in January of 2015. Now the WBC has ordered that Povetkin and Stiverne fight. The winner of the fight will become the mandatory for Deontay Wilder. The two fighters have until September 30th to make the fight. If they fail to negotiate a deal before that date the fight will go to purse bid. What about Deontay Wilder you ask? His bicep is torn and his hand is broken from his fight against Chris Arreola; Wilder is not expected to return to the ring until 2017.
Wednesday (September 21, 2016)
Golovkin’s Promoter sends counter off to Canelo’s team
According to Saul Canelo Álvarez and his team, Gennady Golovkin was sent several offers about a month ago that Golovkin declined. Now Golovkin’s promoter, Tom Loeffler, has sent a counter offer. It seems like Canelo’s team was offering Golovkin a flat fee which some estimate to be about $10 Million. Loeffler on the other hand doesn’t want a flat fee he want’s Golovkin to get a percentage of what is earned instead. “A flat fee for a fight is usually given to a fighter or contender who’s clearly the ‘B’ side,” Loeffler told The Los Angeles Times. “My offer back to [Golden Boy] was based on a percentage, just like we saw in the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao agreement.” Golovkin is currently in negotiations to fight against Daniel Jacobs in December and hopes to fight Canelo by September 2017.
Terence Crawford found GUILTY
The WBO and WBC lightweight champion Terence Crawford has been found guilty of two counts from an incident that happened at a body shop. Originally he was charged with four misdemeanors which included theft of services, criminal mischief, third-degree assault, and trespassing. Since then the assault and theft charges have been dropped. It all started when Crawford went to go pick up his vehicle but owner said he still owed him money. The two were arguing over how much work had been done to the vehicle and how much Crawford owed because of it. The punishment Crawford will face has not yet been released.
Thursday (September 22, 2016)
No more PBC on NBC?
It looks like there will be no more PBC fights on NBC for the remainder of 2016. Don’t be worried the dates are just being moved to early 2017. This is because the later months are filled with other sports that boxing is hard to compete with. “Most people in TV sports programming stay away from trying to counter program college football, the NFL, MLB playoffs and the start of the NBA season in October and November,” PBC spokesman Tim Smith said. “PBC is a TV boxing series and as such it’s mindful of the sports programming around it and it wants to maximize potential viewership among sports fans.” As for the PBC fighters they will most likely be fighting on Showtime if they decide to fight in the remain of the year.
Friday (September 23, 2016)
Klitschko vs Fury Canceled
The Heavyweight Championship rematch scheduled for October 29, 2016 between Wladimir Klitschko and Tyson Fury has been canceled. In their first fight, in November 2015, Fury won an upset against Klitschko who had not been beat in several years. This is the second time the fights gets pushed back, they were originally suppose to fight on July 29, 2016 but the fight was postponed because Fury had an ankle injury.
Fury’s management has come out with a statement saying why the fight was canceled: “Tyson has, this week, been declared medically unfit to fight. Medical specialists have advised that the condition is too severe to allow him to participate in the rematch and that he will require treatment before going back into the ring. Tyson will now immediately undergo the treatment he needs to make a full recovery.”
Gilberto to return in 2017
Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (34-0) was set to return to the ring on July 23, 2016 on the undercard of Terence Crawford vs Viktor Postol but unfortunately for him he injured his right hand and the fight was canceled. Some thought he might be returning late in 2016 but the head of Top Rank, Bob Arum, thinks it would be best for Ramirez to sit the year out for a full recovery.
Saturday (September 24, 2016)
Joshua vs Klitschko?
The fight between Wladimir Klitschko and Tyson Fury has been canceled because Tyson was “medically unfit” to fight. This doesn’t mean Klitschko is done for the year either. Klitschko posted a video on his twitter page saying he will be moving on from the Fury fight and will be looking for a new opponent. In light of this news Anthony Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, says that he’s willing to make a fight between the two happen. “From our side, if Wladimir Klitschko against Anthony Joshua can be made for the WBA and the IBF belts, for November 26, we are taking that fight, no question” said Hearn. When Hearn told Joshua about the possible matchup Joshua said “let’s do it.” As of now Klitschko is waiting to get news from the sanctioning body to see what they will do with the title belts.
Canelo vs GGG Negotiations in two weeks
This last few weeks have been pretty hectic between Saul Canelo Álvarez’s team and Gennady Golovkin’s team. The two teams have been blaming each other for not allowing the super fight to take place. According to Golden Boy Promotion’s President Eric Gomez, him and Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler will sit down in two weeks to negotiate. “Loeffler wrote me, and we will sit down in two weeks. We will talk, see what we offer, what they offer and hopefully we can reach an agreement to give the fans what they want.” said Loeffler. “We are going to try to keep [the negotiations] between us. I hope we reach an agreement for the fight.”
Sunday (September 25, 2016)
Fury refused testing
The fight between Wladimir Klitschko and Tyson Fury has been canceled because Tyson was “medically unfit” to fight.A new report from The Mirrorsays that at one point during the camp the UKAD went to drug test Fury and he told the UKAD to “fk off”. Which begs the question, did this incident have to do anything with Fury withdrawing from the fight?
Jhonny Gonzalez first round KO
On Saturday September 24, 2016 former WBC Featherweight Champion Jhonny Gonzalez (62-10) knocked out Hirotsugu Yamamoto (19-13-2) in the first round. Gonzalez has fought four times since his loss against Jonathan Oquendo (26-5) in 2015. Now Gonzalez hopes to get a fight against Francisco Vargas for a shot at the WBC title.
Cotto ring return 2017
Miguel Cotto has not fought since November of 2015 and he doesn’t plan to come back until 2017. Cotto was scheduled to fight at New York’s Madison Square Garden on December 3rd but it he will no longer be fighting until next year. This is due to HBO’s budget cut in boxing and Cotto’s team inability to get a good opponent. Cotto’s advisor Bryan Perez said “We are aware of the plan that is being worked on and the realities of boxing. Miguel will not fight again until 2017. We are looking at all of the scenarios to then determine the best strategy.”
Monday (September 26, 2016)
Mikey Garcia next fight?
Mikey Garcia (35-0) return to the ring triumphantly on July 2016 after a two year layoff. Now that Garcia is back into the mix he hopes to get a fight with the WBC lightweight champion Dejan Zlaticanin. In an interview with Boxing Scene Mikey’s trainer Robert garcia says that the fight is pretty much done. “That’s the fight we’re still looking forward to happening, unless the champion decides to do something else, I’m not sure.” said Garcia. “But what I was told – and Mikey was also told – that that fight is already confirmed, we just obviously need a date and a TV network to approve it and give us a date. That’s all we’re waiting for.”
Pacquiao Broadcast team
Manny Pacquiao will be returning to the ring against Jessie Vargas on November 5, 2016 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas Nevada. For over a decade Manny Pacquiao has been fighting HBO but when the Vargas fight was announced HBO refused to put it on their channel. Instead the fight will be on www.TopRank.Tv and it will be pay-per-view. Because the event will not be on PPV this means the usual commentators will not be on their either. The commentators for the fight will be Stephen A. Smith and Brian Kenny. Also joining them for the broadcast will be Charissa Thompson and former Welterweight Champion Timothy Bradley. This will be an interesting night for boxing commentary filled with fresh new faces.
Luis Ortiz wants Klitschko fight
The fight between Wladimir Klitschko and Tyson Fury has been canceled because Tyson was “medically unfit” to fight. Recently WBA interim Heavyweight Champion Luis Ortiz has stepped up and called out Klitschko to a fight. In an interview with Boxing Scene Luis Ortiz said “Hey Klitschko, I’m ready for you! Don’t postpone your date because I’m ready to hand you an ass whooping in October”. As of now both Ortiz and Anthony Joshua have called Klitschko. Will Klitschko pick one of the two or go a different route?
Please stay tuned every week for news and updates. If you have any questions that you want answered in the weekly report please email me at email@example.com or follow me on Twitter @boxingblaze or on Facebook at Jason Gonzalez.
ABOUT REAL COMBAT MEDIA: Real Combat Media was founded in 2012. Since then realcombatmedia.com has become one of the most efficient premier international boxing and mixed martial arts online publications in the world. Our talented international team covers the latest combat news on a daily basis to provide the combat community with the best news in the industry for our readers. Our mission is to spread positive awareness of the combat sports to grow interest among the mainstream and to every region of the world.
CHECK OUT OUR QUALITY SPONSORED PRODUCTS BELOW
INCREASE YOUR CARDIO & CUT YOUR TRAINING TIME
INCREASE YOUR BRAIN FUNCTION WITH ALPHA BRAIN
INCREASE YOUR ENERGY
INCREASE YOUR TESTOSTERONE THE NATURAL WAY
ELEVATE YOUR MOOD WITH NEW MOOD
BOOST YOUR IMMUNITY WITH VIRUTECH
LEARN ABOUT HEMP PLANT PROTEIN
MIKE DOLCE WHEY PROTEIN
TOTAL PRIMATE MULTIVITAMINS
POWER FOOD GREENS
GAIN MUSCLE WITH THESE RECIPES
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER: @REALCOMBATMEDIA
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK: REALCOMBATMEDIA
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM : REALCOMBATMEDIA