Richard ‘The Boxing Prophet’ Solomon’s Picks Of the Week
Richard’s love of boxing preceded his love of solid food. Doctors report he came out of his mother’s womb throwing a jab. As a child he would only ever count from 1 to 10, and his favorite superhero didn’t wear a cape- he wore leather gloves that were A Thrilla In Manila. With his uncanny ability to predict fights, his parents gave up dreams of him becoming President and set their sights higher: Boxing Prophet.
His claim to fame: telling the whole world in Feb of 1990 that James Buster Douglas was going to beat Mike Tyson. Through jeers and laughs he stuck to his prediction. Rich was an overnight sensation. A folk hero in his town. The prophet was born. His parents wept.
For every 10 fights Richard predicts – he guarantees 8 out of 10 are correct. He prides himself on not only picking the winner of the fight, but also whether it’s by decision or knockout – being so bold as to even pick the exact round.
Richard went to Adelphi University and holds a Master’s degree in Special Education. He teaches preschool children with learning disabilities and special needs. His kids are fighters and Richard genuinely appreciates and nurtures that spirit in them.
Richard started his career on Adelphi radio in a weekly sports talk show and went on to co-host other boxing radio shows during his career. He is now the RCM Boxing Radio Co-Host since April 2013.
BRANDON RIOS (31- 2, 1 23 Kos) VS. DIEGO CHAVES (23 – 1 19 Kos)
This has Fight Of The Year written all over it. Both men enjoy fighting in the trenches and going to war. Chaves fought well in his only pro defeat against Keith Thurman. Rios, on the other hand has lost back to back fights at the hands of Mike Alvarado and Manny Pacquiao respectively. It really should be three of his last four. I don’t care what the judges said, Richard Abril dominated Rios. Not going to lie, I want to pick Chaves to win this fight in the worst way. I keep telling myself: Maybe Rios has been in way too many wars or he won’t bring his A game Saturday night. What worries me most about Chaves is, he has not shown good foot movement in past fights. Also, Rios has a huge edge in experience. Sad to say, the judges will most likely determine the winner. This will be a close, hard fought competitive fight. Chaves might outwork Rios, but Rios, in return, might land the harder shots. Like I said earlier, there are compelling arguments to be made for why either man should have his hands raised in victory. Would not be shocked if the fight goes either way. Just wanted to make that point very clear!!!! Pick: Rios wins by Split Decision. RCM Pick: Chaves UD
SERGEY KOVALEV(24 -0, 1 22 Ko) BLAKE CAPARELLO (19 -0, 1 6 Ko)
Caparello is a very talented boxer. He’s got a solid jab and good foot movement. Reminds me of Nathan Cleverly. Remember, Kovalev destroyed Cleverly to win his belt. However, Cleverly fought scared and Caparello has a huge opportunity to pull off something special. He has to throw a lot of punches from different angles. Stick and move. I’m a huge Bernard Hopkins fan and respect the talent of Adonis Stevenson. However, I firmly believe that Sergey Kovalev is the best Light Heavyweight in the world. He can box or slug. Does not matter. Caparello might get off to a good start, but eventually Kovalev will cut off the ring and land powerful body shots. This will slow Caparello down. Kovalev will position his feet properly to land several of his monster straight right hands which will send Caparello sprawling to the canvas. Caparello will show heart. But, at the end of the day, Kovalev is just a better fighter. End of story. Pick: Kovalev wins by an 8th Round TKO. RCM Pick: Kovalev TKO
RICHARD’S RADIO SHOWS: richard-the-boxing-prophet-solomon
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK: REALCOMBATMEDIA
CHECK OUT OUR QUALITY SPONSORED PRODUCTS
- Jermell Charlo Defends Against Top Contender Charles Hatley Saturday, April 22 On SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOX... — FOLLOW AND SHARE Undefeated Super Welterweight World Champion Jermell Charlo Defends Against Top Contender Charles Hatley Saturday, April 22 On SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING®, Presented by Premier Boxing Champions, From Barclays Center in Brooklyn Welterweight World Title Eliminator Between Andre Berto & Shawn Porter Headlines Action-Packed Night BROOKLYN (March 24, 2017) – Unbeaten WBC Super [...]
- Undefeated super lightweight Keenan Smith Headlines on Saturday, April 22nd at The Claridge in Atlantic Cit... — FOLLOW AND SHARE Undefeated super lightweight Keenan Smith Headlines on Saturday, April 22nd at The Claridge in Atlantic City Jerry Odom takes on Gabriel Pham Stacked card features Anthony “Juice” Young Also undefeated Leroy Davila, Elijah Vines, Tyrell Wright, John Bauza, Donald Smith & Dylan Price Atlantic City, NJ (March 24, [...]
- WBC SANCTIONS SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT ELIMINATOR BETWEEN UNDEFEATED DAVID BENAVIDEZ AND ROGELIO MEDINA — FOLLOW AND SHARE WBC SANCTIONS SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT ELIMINATOR BETWEEN UNDEFEATED DAVID BENAVIDEZ AND ROGELIO MEDINA FOR #2 MANDATORY TO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Now that sanction has officially been granted, the next fight for red-hot undefeated super middleweight David “El Bandera Roja” Benavidez will be an eliminator for the #2 mandatory challenger spot in the WBC’s world [...]
- Weights from Finland: Haapoja v. Bruzzese EBU-EU cruiserweight clash is ready to go — FOLLOW AND SHARE Weights from Finland: Haapoja v. Bruzzese EBU-EU cruiserweight clash is ready to go Everything is set for tomorrow’s two title fights in Helsinki, Finland. Juho Haapoja (27–7–2, 16 KOs) will face Leonardo Bruzzese (17–2, 6 KOs) for the vacant EBU-EU cruiserweight title, and in the co-feature bout Petteri Fröjdholm (11–0, 4 KOs) [...]
- Rare Alan Blyweiss RCM Interview: Double Broken Nose Bloodbath Bout with Tommy Morrison — FOLLOW AND SHARE Rare Alan Blyweiss Interview: Double Broken Nose Bloodbath Bout with Tommy Morrison By Robert Brizel, Head Real Combat Media Boxing Correspondent You heard it right. Former Washington D.C. Golden Gloves champion Alan Blyweiss of Pennsylvania, in an exclusive Real Combat Media interview, tells of the unbelievable time, several decades ago, when [...]