Miguel Cotto Reportedly Parts Ways With Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports
San Juan, Puerto Rico (May 18th, 2017)– Miguel Cotto and Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports have agreed to part ways, according to a report posted by ESPN.com on Thursday.
The contract reportedly was supposed to pay Cotto a total of $50 million for three fights had he completed it. Cotto left Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc., his longtime promoter, to sign with Roc Nation Sports in March 2015, but has fought just twice for the company.
The 36-year-old Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) had been preparing at trainer Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Boxing Club, but reportedly left Hollywood, California, earlier this week because Cotto couldn’t come to an agreement with Roc Nation Sports on date or site for his next fight. Cotto and Roc Nation Sports had been trying to arrange a fight against Japan’s Yoshihiro Kamegai for June 24 and later for an undisclosed date in July.
Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs), who’s represented by Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, signed a contract to participate in the fight. Cotto had not signed and seemingly couldn’t come to an agreement with Roc Nation Sports on what he would’ve been paid for a low-profile fight in which there wasn’t much public interest.
Decision-makers for HBO Sports, which had televised many of Cotto’s previous fights, wouldn’t agree to broadcast a Cotto-Kamegai match unless Cotto committed to a more important fight if he defeated Kamegai.
Cotto, Puerto Rico’s first four-division champion, apparently grew tired of waiting. He hasn’t fought since losing a unanimous decision to Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) in November 2015 in Las Vegas.
He was supposed to fight James Kirkland on February 25 in Frisco, Texas, but the fight was canceled because Kirkland reportedly suffered a broken nose during a sparring session. Cotto-Kirkland was supposed to headline an HBO Pay-Per-View card, but rescheduling the ill-fated fight was never even discussed.
Rumors regarding Cotto fights against Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez also have circulated since Alvarez beat him, but neither match materialized. One of boxing’s biggest stars over the past decade, Cotto repeatedly has said that 2017 would be his last year as an active boxer.
Cotto’s loss to Alvarez was the second bout of Cotto’s three-fight contract with Roc Nation Sports.
The company signed Andre Ward and Cotto within a two-month stretch early in 2015, but hasn’t added another star fighter to its stable since then. Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) signed a five-year contract with Roc Nation Sports and according to his co-manager, Josh Dubin, has multiple fights left on his deal following his rematch against Sergey Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) on June 17 in Las Vegas.
- UFC Fight Night Stockholm: Official Weigh-in & Video Preview — FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest UFC Fight Night Stockholm: Official Weigh-in MAIN CARD Alexander Gustafsson vs. Glover Teixeira Misha Cirkunov vs. Volkan Oezdemir Chris Camozzi vs. Trevor Smith Damir Hadzovic vs. Marcin Held Darren Till vs. Jessin Ayari UNDERCARD Omari Akhmedov vs. Abdul Razak Alhassan Nordine Taleb vs. Oliver Enkamp Peter Sobotta vs. Ben Saunders Jack Hermansson vs. Alex [...]
- BROOK VS. SPENCE JR. WILL HAVE ADDITIONAL SECURITY MEASURES — FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest BROOK VS. SPENCE JR.: CONFIRMATION OF ADDITIONAL SECURITY MEASURES Matchroom Boxing, Sheffield United FC and South Yorkshire Police working to ensure a safe night for fight fans Sheffield, UK (27th of May, 2017)– Following the tragic events on Monday night in Manchester, organisers are doing everything possible to ensure Saturday’s world championship [...]
- “Brave Warriors In Action” PPV Weights, pictures & quotes & Weigh in in Mexico — FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest“Brave Warriors In Action” PPV Weights, pictures & quotes from today’s Weigh in in Mexico Showcasing undefeated heavyweight Tyrone “King of the Heavyweights” Spong OFFICIAL WEIGHTS, PICTURES & QUOTES MAIN EVENT – VACANT WBO LATINO LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP (10 rounds) MANUEL “El Venado” CEBALLOS (12-1, 8 KOs), Merida, Yucatan, Mexico lbs. vs. CESAR HERNAN [...]
- KELL BROOK VS. ERROL SPENCE & GEORGE GROVES VS. FEDOR CHUDINOV COMPLETE WEIGH-IN VIDEO — FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest Kell Brook vs. Errol Spence, Jr. Official Weights & Pictures AIRING LIVE IN CANADA TOMORROW EXCLUSIVELY ON SUPER CHANNEL OFFICIAL WEIGHTS & PICTURES (All pictures courtesy of Larry Ludwig / Matchroom Boxing) Main Event – IBF World Welterweight Championship (12 rounds) (L) Kell “The Special One” Brook (36-1, 25 KOs), Champion, Sheffield, [...]
- OSCAR DE LA HOYA’S COMPLETE OPEN LETTER ABOUT BOYCOTTING MCGREGOR VS. MAYWEATHER — FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest OSCAR DE LA HOYA’S COMPLETE OPEN LETTER ABOUT BOYCOTTING MCGREGOR VS. MAYWEATHER “With each passing day, it looks more and more likely that the circus known as Floyd Mayweather Vs. Conor McGregor will be coming to town in the near future,” De La Hoya wrote in a Facebook post on May 25. “As undercard [...]