For Immediate Release & Publish
REAL COMBAT MEDIA WEEKLY BOXING REPORT
By Jason Gonzalez,Real Combat Media Arizona Boxing Correspondent
Welcome back to another edition of the Real Combat Media Boxing Weekly Report “Boxing Blaze Edition” where we cover all the top news stories in boxing each week!
Monday (November 7, 2016)
This week the fight between heavyweight contenders Joseph Parker vs Andy Ruiz has been made official. These two fighters are ranked by several sanctioning bodies. Parker is ranked top ten in every major sanctioning body and most notably number one contender for the IBF and WBO titles at heavyweight. Ruiz is ranked #6 under the WBC, #5 under the IBF, and #3 under WBO. Both fighters were being considered to fight against Anthony Joshua but Joshua began negotiations with Wladimir Klitschko instead. Now Parker and Ruiz will be fighting on December 10, 2016 at the Vector Arena in Auckland, New Zealand.
Last week on Monday Super Flyweight Champion Chocolatito’s trainer, Arnulfo Obando, had a stroke. Obando went to the hospital and had surgery on Wednesday night. Then on Sunday night Obando was declared brain dead. This is sure to make a big impact on Chocolatito’s career. Chocolatito was in negotiations to fight Carlos Cuadras in a rematch in 2017 but with the news of Obando no one is sure on the direction of Chocolatito’s career. Obando is still hooked up to a ventilator but his family is planning to unplug him later in the week.
Tuesday (November 8, 2016)
Recently heavyweight boxer David Price said that he had knocked down heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua during sparring. This was thought to be just a fake story to create hype because Price was in negotiations to fight Joshua in December. Price went as far as to say that Joshua needed help getting out of the ring after the knock down. “I know I can knock out Joshua because I’ve done it before,” said Price to BBC Sport. “I put him down [in sparring] and he had to get helped out of the ring.” Joshua has come out and said that this is no mere rumor, it’s actually the truth. “Yes, he dropped me in sparring and I continued training and that’s why I am here now,” Joshua told Sky Sports. “In a sense, you have to look at these things as a blessing in disguise because in boxing, a lot of people get dropped, get hurt and then go on and do great things.
Earlier this year Alexander Povetkin’s promoter Andrey Ryabinsky won a purse bid for a fight against Bermane Stiverne. Ryabinsky won the bid with a bet of $3.16 million. Both fighters will be getting a guaranteed purse of $1.4 million for the fight. Ryabinsky has confirmed that the contract for the fight has been signed and they are to set to fight on December 17, 2016 in Yekaterinburg, Russia. The winner of this fight will go on to be the mandatory for the WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder.
Wednesday (November 9, 2016)
IBF Welterweight Champion Jermall Charlo was scheduled to fight against Julian Williams in October but the fight was postponed. It turns out that Charlo had postponed the fight to get laser surgery in his eyes. “I pretty much won the world title, all the way up through my career … I was legally blind,” said Charlo. “I adjusted myself to be able to fight unclear. Now I got the procedure done. Yeah the fight was supposed to happen in October and I wanted it then. This is for me to be able to clear the medicals, and less stress to go ahead. I’m ready now. Everything happens for a reason. Crystal-clear vision is one of the things that’s helped me make this fight easier.”
Jermall’s twin brother Jermell had gone through the same surgery in 2013 when he was having similar problems with his vision. Now that Jermall has 20-20 vision his fight against Julian Williams is rescheduled for December 10, 2017 at the USC Galen Center in Los Angeles, California. When Williams originally heard the news about the fight being postponed he was not worried. “I didn’t think he was going to duck. I thought he was putting the fight off for whatever reason, but at the time I didn’t know what the reason was,” Williams said. “All that is under the bridge. It doesn’t even matter no more. The fight is Dec. 10. He’s going to bring his A-game. He’s got 20-20 vision. I’ve had 20-20 vision my whole life. Now we’ll be even. There will be no excuses.”
Nico Hernandez won a bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics while fighting for the U.S. men’s boxing team. Now Hernandez is set to make his pro-debut on the undercard of Terence Crawford vs John Molina on December 10, 2016 in Omaha, Nebraska. As of now Hernandez does not have an official opponent set to fight him in December. What do you expect from Hernandez? Will he rise to be part of the elite?
Thursday (November 10, 2016)
Kell Brook will not Vacate
In September Kell Brook suffered a TKO loss to Gennady Golovkin at 160 lbs. During the fight Brook got his orbital bone broken and therefore has to take time off from fighting to let his eye heal. Many thought that Brook would leave welterweight (147 lbs) and vacate his belt to avoid a fight against Errol Spence Jr. but it looks like Brook will be doing the exact opposite. According to Brook’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, he will be staying at welterweight to defend his title. “I sat down with him yesterday and we mapped out all the options. I said – ‘look, I think maybe you should move to 154. And he said – ‘my weights really good at the moment. I spoke to my nutritionist. We can make 147.’ I said – ‘I know you can make 147, but can you make it well?’ He said – ‘yeah, we believe we can.’ He said – ‘more importantly, I’ve been thinking…. I’m not vacating my belt.’ So I said to him, ‘But you know There are plenty of things to look at 154.’ [Brook then said] – no, I’m not vacating my belt.’ So then I said – ‘you’ve got to fight Errol Spence. He said – ‘good, that’s a tasty fight,’” Hearn told IFL TV.
Friday (November 11, 2016)
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is set to fight on December 10, 2016 against Dominik Britsch in Mexico. Chavez Jr. has been absent from the ring for over a year now do to a hand injury that need surgery. Now even with Britsch ahead of him, Chavez Jr, talks about a possible showdown Saul Canelo Álvarez in the future. Chavez Jr. has been fighting at 170 lbs for the last couple of fights due to his inability to make the super middleweight limit of 168 lbs but Chavez says that he would go down to 164 lbs for Canelo. If this matchup were to happen it would be have to be in the far future. First Chavez Jr needs to fix his career and second of all Canelo is doing all he can to not fight at 160 lbs. So what would make Chavez Jr think that canelo would want to move to 164 lbs?
Saturday (November 12, 2016)
Danny Garcia vs Samuel Vargas
Today Danny Garcia retained his WBC Welterweight title by beating Samuel Vargas by technical Knockout in the 7th round. Even though Vargas didn’t get knocked out like Rod Salka in 2nd round it doesn’t mean he should have been in there with Garcia. This was another fight that gave fans an excuse to point at Garcia and say he’s a cherry picker. Garcia very well could have fought against John Molina Jr who just beat Ruslan Provodnikov. That would be a fight that Garcia can justify. But instead Garcia picked someone who was relatively unknown to the boxing world that had a decent record. Garcia is an undefeated, elite fighter who has beat many big names and therefore there is no reason why he should be fighting nobodies. Garcia should be fighting the best at his division. When Garcia was training for Vargas he was signed to fight against Thurman in March which is great for boxing fans. But that just goes to show how much Garcia was worried about Vargas. Vargas was not a threat to Garcia in any way, shape, or form to the point that they already knew Garcia was going to win and therefore making the Thurman fight.
Luis Ortiz vs Malik Scott
Heavyweight contender Luis Ortiz beat Malik Scott by unanimous decision today. The judges scored the fight as follow: 120-105, 120-106, 119-106. Just by looking at the score it was evident that this was a one sided fight. Scott was knocked down by Ortiz three times during the fight. Most of the fight was Scott running around the ring hoping to survive the fight. I don’t like to use the phrase “running” but it was obvious that Scott wasn’t a threat Ortiz therefore he had to survive somehow. Ortiz is 40-years-old and he’s not getting any younger, he should be looking for a fight against Anthony Joshua, Wladimir Klitschko, or Deontay Wilder.
Sunday (November 13, 2016)
By reading the title you must think that Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury are currently in talks but you are wrong. I’m talking about Deontay Wilder vs Hughie Fury which is Tyson Fury’s cousin. Fury is currently undefeated with twenty wins and ten knockouts. Fury’s last fight was a win over Fred Kassi in April. Now Wilder and Fury are looking to fight in March of 2017. According to Fury, him and Wilder are in negotiations. This fight would be voluntary for Wilder before he has to fight the winner of Bermane Stiverne vs Alexander Povetkin.
Monday (November 14, 2016)
The World Boxing Council (WBC) mandates that the top 15 fighters ranked by them in each weight division has to take random drug testing administered by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association also known as VADA. Bermane Stiverne was tested on November 4, 2016; on November 11, 2016 the WBC came out with a statement saying that Stiverne had tested positive for the banned substance methylhexaneamine (also known as dimethylamylamine or “DMAA”). DMAA is a dietary supplement that also increases energy but DMAA has several health risks and therefore is banned.The WBC has concluded that Stiverne did not intentionally take the supplement and his upcoming fight with Alexander Povetkin will be sanctioned. Because Stiverne tested positive for a banned substance he will have to pay $75,000.
Please stay tuned every week for news and updates. If you have any questions that you want answered in the weekly report please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Twitter @boxingblaze or on Facebook at Jason Gonzalez.
ABOUT REAL COMBAT MEDIA: Real Combat Media was founded in 2012. Since then realcombatmedia.com has become one of the most efficient premier international boxing and mixed martial arts online publications in the world. Our talented international team covers the latest combat news on a daily basis to provide the combat community with the best news in the industry for our readers. Our mission is to spread positive awareness of the combat sports to grow interest among the mainstream and to every region of the world.