Tonight at the Uncas Ballroom at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut, Main Events and Mohegan Sun debuted the pilot event of the Mohegan Sun’s Rising Stars Boxing Series. Fans in attendance and watching online via Facebook Live were treated to nine exciting bouts of boxing which featured both locals talent and international prospects.
The main event of the evening featured an action-packed ten-round battle between Virgilijus “The Terminator” Stapulionis (18-4-1, 13 KOs)* of Lithuania and Oxnard, California and Patrick Day (13-2-1, 6 KOs) of Freeport, New York. Day knocked Stapulionis down in the third but The Terminator recovered and delivered a thrilling performance in a close fight that was not necessarily reflected in the scores. In the end, Day defeated Stapulionis via unanimous decision (99-90, 97-92, 98-91).
Local fan-favorite Cassius Chaney (8-0, 5 KOs) of New London, Conn. stopped Carlos Sandoval (10-11-1, 7 KOs) of Agua Prieta, Mexico in his first fight with world-renowned trainer, John David Jackson. This was also Chaney’s first fight since returning from shoulder surgery earlier this year. The referee stopped the fight just after the bell rang to end the second round.
After the fight Cassius said, “This was great. This guy is tough and I want to thank everyone for coming out and supporting. I want to thank my manager, trainer, Main Events, my family and my fans. I want to thank Carlos Sandoval for taking this fight.”
Main Events’ middleweight prospect Madiyar Ashkeyev (7-0, 3 KOs) of Kazakhstan remains undefeated as he scored a unanimous decision (59-55 for all three judges) over Marcus Beckford (3-4-3, 1 KO) of Uniondale, New York.
Reinald Graceski (4-0, 2 KOs) made quick work of Rodrigo Almeida (1-6) in an all-Massachusetts match-up. The doctor advised the referee to stop the fight at 1:25 of the first after Almeida suffered an injury to his right wrist.
A large crowd came out to support New Jersey native Kevin Asmat (1-1, 1 KO) of Union City and he did not disappoint them. Asmat stopped local Ernesto Ornelas (1-1, 1 KO) of Portland, Maine at 1:04 of the second round.
St. Louis prospect Vaughn Alexander (7-0, 5 KOs) made his Main Events’ debut with an impressive unanimous decision win over Antonio Fernandes (7-29-3, 2 KOs) of Brockton, Mass. All three judges scored the fight 60-54 in favor of Alexander.
Local prospect Josh Crespo (7-4-3, 3 KOs) of New Haven Connecticut knocked out Jesus Gonzalez (4-13, 3 KOs) of Bethlehem, Penn. in the first round. Gonzalez had slipped just prior to the knockout and made it back to his feet for a matter of seconds before Crespo laid him out.
Former professional kickboxer, Enriko Gogokhia (3-0, 1 KO) made his east coast debut against Roberto Yong (5-11-2, 4 KOs) of Phoenix, Arizona. The judges scored this one a split decision with two judges giving the win to Gogokhia (60-54 and 59-55) and one judge scoring the bout for Yong 59-55.
In the first bout of the evening Uganda native Kennedy Katende (1-0) made his professional debut with a four-round unanimous decision victory over Tracey Johnson (4-5-4) of Boston, Mass. All three judges scored the bout 40-35. Kennedy knocked down Johnson in the third round but Johnson managed to finish the bout.
Full video of the card is available on the Main Events Facebook page: facecbook.com/maineventsboxing
*Note: All records have been updated to reflect tonight’s results.
New Main Events & Mohegan Sun’s Rising Stars Series A Success
- Thomas LaManna Wins a Decision Over Samuel Amoako & Jorge Diaz Picks Up a Big Win Over Adam Lopez — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/11/thomas-lamanna-wins-lbf-intercontinental-welterweight-title-decision-amoako/Follow LaManna wins LBF Intercontinental Welterweight title with decision over Amoako Serrano and Diaz capture WBC Fecarbox crowns Vermall, Mamedov and Julan remain undefeated Atlantic City, NJ (November 21, 2017)– Las Saturday night, Thomas LaManna took home a ten round unanimous decision over rugged Samuel Amoako in the headline bout of an eight bout card at The Claridge [...]
- Former World Champion Devon Alexander Returns to Drop & Defeat Walter Castillo in the Main Event of Premier Boxing Champions — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/11/former-world-champion-devon-alexander-returns-drop-defeat-walter-castillo-main-event-premier-boxing-champions/Follow Former World Champion Devon Alexander Returns to Drop & Defeat Walter Castillo in the Main Event of Premier Boxing Champions TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS on FS1 & BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportes from The Coliseum in St. Petersburg, Fla. Miguel Cruz Remains Unbeaten With Unanimous Decision Over David Grayton Click HERE for Photos from Douglas DeFelice/ Premier Boxing Champions [...]
- Sullivan Barrera vs. Felix Valera Scouting Report Two Heavy-Hitters Square Off — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/11/sullivan-barrera-vs-felix-valera-scouting-report-two-heavy-hitters-square-off/Follow Sullivan Barrera vs. Felix Valera Scouting Report Two Heavy-Hitters Square Off New York, NY: This Saturday’s Kovalev-Shabranskyy HBO World Championship Boxing® telecast will include a battle between two of the light heavyweight division’s biggest punchers when Sullivan Barrera and Felix Valera square off at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Below is the scouting [...]
- ERROL SPENCE JR VS LAMONT PERTERSON IS OFFICIAL — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/11/errol-spence-jr-vs-lamont-perterson-official/Follow WELTERWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION ERROL SPENCE JR. TO DEFEND AGAINST FORMER CHAMPION LAMONT PETERSON SATURDAY, JANUARY 20 LIVE ON SHOWTIME® FROM BARCLAYS CENTER IN BROOKLYN & PRESENTED BY PREMIER BOXING CHAMPIONS Spence Returns for First Title Defense in SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® Main Event Tickets On Sale Tomorrow, Wednesday, Nov. 22 at 10 a.m. ET BROOKLYN (Nov. 21, 2017) [...]
- Boxing Weights from Bethlehem, PA — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/11/boxing-weights-bethlehem-pa/Follow Weights from Bethlehem, PA Bethlehem, PA (November 21, 2017) – Weights for Tonight’s card at The Sands Bethlehem Event Center Myke Fox 143 – Manuel Reyes 147.9 Victor Vazquez 137.3 – Rcardo Garcia 136.7 Joseph Adorno 133.9 – Corben Page 132.8 Juan Sanchez 126 – James Early 129.2 Harold Lopez 113.6 – [...]