Tonight at the Uncas Ballroom at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut, Main Events and Mohegan Sun debuted the pilot event of the Mohegan Sun’s Rising Stars Boxing Series. Fans in attendance and watching online via Facebook Live were treated to nine exciting bouts of boxing which featured both locals talent and international prospects.
The main event of the evening featured an action-packed ten-round battle between Virgilijus “The Terminator” Stapulionis (18-4-1, 13 KOs)* of Lithuania and Oxnard, California and Patrick Day (13-2-1, 6 KOs) of Freeport, New York. Day knocked Stapulionis down in the third but The Terminator recovered and delivered a thrilling performance in a close fight that was not necessarily reflected in the scores. In the end, Day defeated Stapulionis via unanimous decision (99-90, 97-92, 98-91).
Local fan-favorite Cassius Chaney (8-0, 5 KOs) of New London, Conn. stopped Carlos Sandoval (10-11-1, 7 KOs) of Agua Prieta, Mexico in his first fight with world-renowned trainer, John David Jackson. This was also Chaney’s first fight since returning from shoulder surgery earlier this year. The referee stopped the fight just after the bell rang to end the second round.
After the fight Cassius said, “This was great. This guy is tough and I want to thank everyone for coming out and supporting. I want to thank my manager, trainer, Main Events, my family and my fans. I want to thank Carlos Sandoval for taking this fight.”
Main Events’ middleweight prospect Madiyar Ashkeyev (7-0, 3 KOs) of Kazakhstan remains undefeated as he scored a unanimous decision (59-55 for all three judges) over Marcus Beckford (3-4-3, 1 KO) of Uniondale, New York.
Reinald Graceski (4-0, 2 KOs) made quick work of Rodrigo Almeida (1-6) in an all-Massachusetts match-up. The doctor advised the referee to stop the fight at 1:25 of the first after Almeida suffered an injury to his right wrist.
A large crowd came out to support New Jersey native Kevin Asmat (1-1, 1 KO) of Union City and he did not disappoint them. Asmat stopped local Ernesto Ornelas (1-1, 1 KO) of Portland, Maine at 1:04 of the second round.
St. Louis prospect Vaughn Alexander (7-0, 5 KOs) made his Main Events’ debut with an impressive unanimous decision win over Antonio Fernandes (7-29-3, 2 KOs) of Brockton, Mass. All three judges scored the fight 60-54 in favor of Alexander.
Local prospect Josh Crespo (7-4-3, 3 KOs) of New Haven Connecticut knocked out Jesus Gonzalez (4-13, 3 KOs) of Bethlehem, Penn. in the first round. Gonzalez had slipped just prior to the knockout and made it back to his feet for a matter of seconds before Crespo laid him out.
Former professional kickboxer, Enriko Gogokhia (3-0, 1 KO) made his east coast debut against Roberto Yong (5-11-2, 4 KOs) of Phoenix, Arizona. The judges scored this one a split decision with two judges giving the win to Gogokhia (60-54 and 59-55) and one judge scoring the bout for Yong 59-55.
In the first bout of the evening Uganda native Kennedy Katende (1-0) made his professional debut with a four-round unanimous decision victory over Tracey Johnson (4-5-4) of Boston, Mass. All three judges scored the bout 40-35. Kennedy knocked down Johnson in the third round but Johnson managed to finish the bout.
Full video of the card is available on the Main Events Facebook page: facecbook.com/maineventsboxing
*Note: All records have been updated to reflect tonight’s results.
New Main Events & Mohegan Sun’s Rising Stars Series A Success
- REAL COMBAT MEDIA BOXING WEEKLY REPORT “BOXING BLAZE EDITION” (4/27/2017) — For Immediate Release & Publish REAL COMBAT MEDIA WEEKLY BOXING REPORT By Jason Gonzalez,Real Combat Media Arizona Boxing Correspondent Welcome back to another edition of the Real Combat Media Boxing Weekly Report “Boxing Blaze Edition” where we cover all the top news stories in boxing each week! Thursday (April 20, 2017) Broner Arrested Four division [...]
- CANELO VS. CHAVEZ HBO PREVIEW EPISODE & HBO ‘A FIGHTING TRADITION’ SHOW — CANELO VS. CHAVEZ HBO PREVIEW EPISODE SPONSORED LINKS Discount UFC Tickets Discount Boxing Tickets COMMENTS COMMENTS@REALCOMBATMEDIA - Editorial StaffEditor in ChiefWe are the Editorial staff for the top independent international boxing and mma online publication since 2012. Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @realcombatmedia. For breaking news reports, contact us at email@example.com and for [...]
- Cuba’s Yordenis Ugas Stops Nelson Lara in Round Two of Premier Boxing Champions — Cuba’s Yordenis Ugas Stops Nelson Lara in Round Two of Premier Boxing Champions TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS on FS1 & BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportes Main Event Tuesday Night From Fitz Tunica Casino & Hotel in Tunica, Mississippi Levan Ghvamichava Earns Unanimous Decision Over Previously Once-Beaten Oscar Molina Click HERE for Photos from Premier [...]
- Mihai Nistor, Olympic Heavyweight Beast Boxer in Training Who Knocked Out Anthony Joshua — Mihai Nistor, Olympic Heavyweight Beast Boxer in Training Who Knocked Out Anthony Joshua By Robert Brizel, Head Real Combat Media Boxing Correspondent Mihai Nistor KOs Anthony Joshua, Wins European Amateur Heavyweight Championship https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9sDcl2Cw Why on earth would any amateur heavyweight beast great enough to beat up on and knock out world heavyweight [...]
- PHIL DAVIS SET TO DEFEND LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE AGAINST RYAN BADER DURING SPIKE-TELEVISED BELLATOR 180 — PHIL DAVIS SET TO DEFEND LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE AGAINST RYAN BADER DURING SPIKE-TELEVISED BELLATOR 180 WRESTLING PHENOM AARON PICO TO MAKE MMA DEBUT AGAINST ZACH FREEMAN ON MAIN CARD ALSO, NEIMAN GRACIE VS. DAVE MARFONE ADDED TO SPIKE TELECAST, WHILE RYAN COUTURE-HAIM GOZALI ANCHOR BELLATOR 180 PRELIMS ON BELLATOR.COM LOS ANGELES – The biggest night in [...]