Tonight at the Uncas Ballroom at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut, Main Events and Mohegan Sun debuted the pilot event of the Mohegan Sun’s Rising Stars Boxing Series. Fans in attendance and watching online via Facebook Live were treated to nine exciting bouts of boxing which featured both locals talent and international prospects.
The main event of the evening featured an action-packed ten-round battle between Virgilijus “The Terminator” Stapulionis (18-4-1, 13 KOs)* of Lithuania and Oxnard, California and Patrick Day (13-2-1, 6 KOs) of Freeport, New York. Day knocked Stapulionis down in the third but The Terminator recovered and delivered a thrilling performance in a close fight that was not necessarily reflected in the scores. In the end, Day defeated Stapulionis via unanimous decision (99-90, 97-92, 98-91).
Local fan-favorite Cassius Chaney (8-0, 5 KOs) of New London, Conn. stopped Carlos Sandoval (10-11-1, 7 KOs) of Agua Prieta, Mexico in his first fight with world-renowned trainer, John David Jackson. This was also Chaney’s first fight since returning from shoulder surgery earlier this year. The referee stopped the fight just after the bell rang to end the second round.
After the fight Cassius said, “This was great. This guy is tough and I want to thank everyone for coming out and supporting. I want to thank my manager, trainer, Main Events, my family and my fans. I want to thank Carlos Sandoval for taking this fight.”
Main Events’ middleweight prospect Madiyar Ashkeyev (7-0, 3 KOs) of Kazakhstan remains undefeated as he scored a unanimous decision (59-55 for all three judges) over Marcus Beckford (3-4-3, 1 KO) of Uniondale, New York.
Reinald Graceski (4-0, 2 KOs) made quick work of Rodrigo Almeida (1-6) in an all-Massachusetts match-up. The doctor advised the referee to stop the fight at 1:25 of the first after Almeida suffered an injury to his right wrist.
A large crowd came out to support New Jersey native Kevin Asmat (1-1, 1 KO) of Union City and he did not disappoint them. Asmat stopped local Ernesto Ornelas (1-1, 1 KO) of Portland, Maine at 1:04 of the second round.
St. Louis prospect Vaughn Alexander (7-0, 5 KOs) made his Main Events’ debut with an impressive unanimous decision win over Antonio Fernandes (7-29-3, 2 KOs) of Brockton, Mass. All three judges scored the fight 60-54 in favor of Alexander.
Local prospect Josh Crespo (7-4-3, 3 KOs) of New Haven Connecticut knocked out Jesus Gonzalez (4-13, 3 KOs) of Bethlehem, Penn. in the first round. Gonzalez had slipped just prior to the knockout and made it back to his feet for a matter of seconds before Crespo laid him out.
Former professional kickboxer, Enriko Gogokhia (3-0, 1 KO) made his east coast debut against Roberto Yong (5-11-2, 4 KOs) of Phoenix, Arizona. The judges scored this one a split decision with two judges giving the win to Gogokhia (60-54 and 59-55) and one judge scoring the bout for Yong 59-55.
In the first bout of the evening Uganda native Kennedy Katende (1-0) made his professional debut with a four-round unanimous decision victory over Tracey Johnson (4-5-4) of Boston, Mass. All three judges scored the bout 40-35. Kennedy knocked down Johnson in the third round but Johnson managed to finish the bout.
Full video of the card is available on the Main Events Facebook page: facecbook.com/maineventsboxing
*Note: All records have been updated to reflect tonight’s results.
New Main Events & Mohegan Sun’s Rising Stars Series A Success
- ANDRE WARD ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT FROM BOXING — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/09/andre-ward-announces-retirement-boxing/Follow ANDRE WARD ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT FROM BOXING AT AGE 33 Oakland, CA (September 21, 2017)– Andre Ward, who defeated Sergey Kovalev twice and took over the 168 and 175lb division has announced his retirement from boxing at age 33. Ward tweeted the following video as part of his announcement: Follow Andre S.O.G. Ward ✔@andreward [...]
- RCM HISTORICAL BOXING: Raging Bull Jake LaMotta versus Sugar Ray Robinson Rivalry, When Boxing Was Great — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/09/rcm-historical-boxing-raging-bull-jake-lamotta-versus-sugar-ray-robinson-rivalry-boxing-great/Follow Raging Bull Jake LaMotta versus Sugar Ray Robinson Rivalry, When Boxing Was Great By Robert Brizel, Head Real Combat Media Boxing Correspondent “The three toughest fighters I ever fought were Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Sugar Ray Robinson. I fought Sugar Ray Robinson so many times, I’m surprised I’m not diabetic.” The [...]
- Valdez / Ramirez / Hart / Arum Fight Week Transcript — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/09/53490/Follow FIGHT WEEK CONVERSATION WITH WBO FEATHERWEIGHT CHAMPION OSCAR VALDEZ WBO SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION GILBERTO “ZURDO” RAMIREZ WBO NO. 1 SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT CONTENDER JESSE HART HALL OF FAME PROMOTER BOB ARUM Final Press Conference Photos Link https://app.box.com/s/dm1if35f2lz76ciziedjz3cvqyjwuxrs Please Credit Mikey Williams / Top Rank TUCSON, AZ (September 21, 2017) — Undefeated World Boxing Organization [...]
- NO. 8 LIGHTWEIGHT DUSTIN POIRIER TO FACE FORMER CHAMPION ANTHONY PETTIS IN UFC NORFOLK MAIN EVENT SATURDAY, NOV. 11 — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/09/53487/Follow NO. 8 LIGHTWEIGHT DUSTIN POIRIER TO FACE FORMER CHAMPION ANTHONY PETTIS IN UFC NORFOLK MAIN EVENT SATURDAY, NOV. 11 Plus: MATT BROWN vs. DIEGO SANCHEZ (#11) ANDREI ARLOVSKI vs. (#12) JUNIOR ALBINI TICKETS FOR UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: POIRIER vs. PETTIS ON SALE FRIDAY, SEPT. 22 Las Vegas – UFC® touches down in Norfolk, VA. for the first [...]
- World Boxing Super Series Yunier Dorticos vs. Dmitry Kudryashov Final Press Conference Quotes & Photos — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/09/world-boxing-super-series-yunier-dorticos-vs-dmitry-kudryashov-final-press-conference-quotes-photos/Follow World Boxing Super Series Yunier Dorticos vs. Dmitry Kudryashov Final Press Conference Quotes & Photos Dorticos vs. Dmitry Cruiserweight Quarter-final This Saturday, September 23 from the Alamodome in San Antonio Click HERE for Press Conference Photos Click HERE for Undercard Workout Photos Credit: Francisco Perez/Ringstar Sports SAN ANTONIO (September 20, 2017) – Fight week in [...]