Tonight at the Uncas Ballroom at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut, Main Events and Mohegan Sun debuted the pilot event of the Mohegan Sun’s Rising Stars Boxing Series. Fans in attendance and watching online via Facebook Live were treated to nine exciting bouts of boxing which featured both locals talent and international prospects.
The main event of the evening featured an action-packed ten-round battle between Virgilijus “The Terminator” Stapulionis (18-4-1, 13 KOs)* of Lithuania and Oxnard, California and Patrick Day (13-2-1, 6 KOs) of Freeport, New York. Day knocked Stapulionis down in the third but The Terminator recovered and delivered a thrilling performance in a close fight that was not necessarily reflected in the scores. In the end, Day defeated Stapulionis via unanimous decision (99-90, 97-92, 98-91).
Local fan-favorite Cassius Chaney (8-0, 5 KOs) of New London, Conn. stopped Carlos Sandoval (10-11-1, 7 KOs) of Agua Prieta, Mexico in his first fight with world-renowned trainer, John David Jackson. This was also Chaney’s first fight since returning from shoulder surgery earlier this year. The referee stopped the fight just after the bell rang to end the second round.
After the fight Cassius said, “This was great. This guy is tough and I want to thank everyone for coming out and supporting. I want to thank my manager, trainer, Main Events, my family and my fans. I want to thank Carlos Sandoval for taking this fight.”
Main Events’ middleweight prospect Madiyar Ashkeyev (7-0, 3 KOs) of Kazakhstan remains undefeated as he scored a unanimous decision (59-55 for all three judges) over Marcus Beckford (3-4-3, 1 KO) of Uniondale, New York.
Reinald Graceski (4-0, 2 KOs) made quick work of Rodrigo Almeida (1-6) in an all-Massachusetts match-up. The doctor advised the referee to stop the fight at 1:25 of the first after Almeida suffered an injury to his right wrist.
A large crowd came out to support New Jersey native Kevin Asmat (1-1, 1 KO) of Union City and he did not disappoint them. Asmat stopped local Ernesto Ornelas (1-1, 1 KO) of Portland, Maine at 1:04 of the second round.
St. Louis prospect Vaughn Alexander (7-0, 5 KOs) made his Main Events’ debut with an impressive unanimous decision win over Antonio Fernandes (7-29-3, 2 KOs) of Brockton, Mass. All three judges scored the fight 60-54 in favor of Alexander.
Local prospect Josh Crespo (7-4-3, 3 KOs) of New Haven Connecticut knocked out Jesus Gonzalez (4-13, 3 KOs) of Bethlehem, Penn. in the first round. Gonzalez had slipped just prior to the knockout and made it back to his feet for a matter of seconds before Crespo laid him out.
Former professional kickboxer, Enriko Gogokhia (3-0, 1 KO) made his east coast debut against Roberto Yong (5-11-2, 4 KOs) of Phoenix, Arizona. The judges scored this one a split decision with two judges giving the win to Gogokhia (60-54 and 59-55) and one judge scoring the bout for Yong 59-55.
In the first bout of the evening Uganda native Kennedy Katende (1-0) made his professional debut with a four-round unanimous decision victory over Tracey Johnson (4-5-4) of Boston, Mass. All three judges scored the bout 40-35. Kennedy knocked down Johnson in the third round but Johnson managed to finish the bout.
Full video of the card is available on the Main Events Facebook page: facecbook.com/maineventsboxing
*Note: All records have been updated to reflect tonight’s results.
New Main Events & Mohegan Sun’s Rising Stars Series A Success
- GARCIA KNOCKS OUT RIOS – SHAWN PORTER CONFRONTS DANNY GARCIA & KEITH THURMAN – VIDEOS — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/02/garcia-knocks-rios-shawn-porter-confronts-garcia-keith-thurman-videos/Follow DANNY GARCIA KNOCKS OUT BRANDON RIOS IN WELTERWEIGHT TITLE ELIMINATOR SATURDAY ON SHOWTIME® FROM MANDALAY BAY EVENTS CENTER David Benavidez Remains Boxing’s Youngest World Champion With Unanimous Decision Over Ronald Gavril In SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® Co-Feature Watch The Replay Monday, Feb. 19 At 10 p.m. ET/PT On SHOWTIME EXTREME® Click HERE for Photos from Stephanie Trapp/SHOWTIME Click HERE for [...]
- Victor Ortiz & Devon Alexander Fight to Majority Draw & Caleb Plant Dominates Rogelio Medina — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/02/ictor-ortiz-devon-alexander-fight-majority-draw/Follow Former World Champions Victor Ortiz & Devon Alexander Fight to Majority Draw in Action Packed Main Event of Premier Boxing Champions on FOX & FOX Deportes Saturday Night from Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas Unbeaten Caleb Plant Dominates Rogelio Medina on His Way to Unanimous Decision in Super Middleweight World Title [...]
- One Heck of a Battle! One-Armed Groves Outpoints Bloody Eubank To Retain WBA Title – Video Highlights — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/02/one-heck-battle-one-armed-groves-outpoints-bloody-eubank-retain-wba-title/Follow One Heck of a Battle! One-Armed Groves Outpoints Bloody Eubank To Retain WBA Title By Robert Brizel, Head Real Combat Media Boxing Correspondent Manchester, UK (February 19th, 2018)– An injured George Groves, his left arm dangling helplessly at his side during the twelfth and final round after dislocating his left shoulder, hung on [...]
- GEORGE GROVES VS. CHRIS EUBANKS JR. WEIGH-IN VIDEO — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/02/george-groves-vs-chris-eubanks-jr-weigh-video/Follow GEORGE GROVES vs. CHRIS EUBANK JR. WBA & IBO Super Middleweight Unification World Championship LIVE ON SUPER CHANNEL IN CANADA Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:00 p.m. ET / 11:00 a.m. PT Super Middleweight World Champions George Groves vs. Chris Eubank Jr. World Boxing Super Series semifinals AIRING LIVE IN CANADA THIS AFTERNOON [...]
- RAY BELTRAN DEFEATS PAULUS MOSES TO WIN WBO TITLE — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/02/ray-beltran-defeats-paulus-moses-win-wbo/Follow Ray Beltran Bloody and Bruised, Decisions Moses For WBO Title By Boxingscene.com Reno, NV (February 18th, 2018)– Paulus Moses is 39 and was a huge underdog Friday night. Those unfavorable numbers didn’t stop the former champion from overcoming Ray Beltran’s early attack to make their lightweight championship match more difficult than expected for the [...]