THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER® PREMIERE
Teams Announced: Jones uses first pick to match Luke Barnatt and Gilbert Smith
Series resumes next Tuesday on FX at regular time of 9 p.m. ET/PT
The 17th season of the Ultimate Fighting Championship®’s famed reality television show, The Ultimate Fighter®, began on Tuesday with a special two-hour premiere on FX. Twenty-eight middleweight (185 pounds) fighters squared-off in 14 elimination fights, vying for a coveted spot on the series and their chance to win a six-figure contract with the UFC®.
Visit ufc.com for a full recap of the episode.
Premiere episode fight match-ups and results:
· Adam Cella, Fenton, Mo., submitted Jake Heun, Salt Lake City, in 1st round
· Zak Cummings, Kansas City, Mo., def. Nik Fehete, Las Vegas by TKO in 1st round
· Kevin Casey, Hawthorne, Calif., submitted Eldon Sproat, Kaunakakai, Hawaii, in the 1st
· Tor Troeng, Umea, Sweden, submitted Scott Rosa, Sparks, Nev., in the 1st
· Clint Hester, Atlanta, Ga., by unanimous decision over Frasier Opie, Milten Keynes, England
· Bubba McDaniel, Albuquerque, N.M. def. Ryan Bigler, Barrigada, Guam by TKO in the 2nd
· Josh Samman, Tallahassee, Fla., def. Leo Bercier, Great Falls, Mon. by TKO in the 1st
· Kelvin Gastelum, Yuma, Arz., by unanimous decision over Kito Andrews, Sacramento, Calif.
· Jimmy Quinlan, Metheun, Mass., def. Mike Persons, Stockton, Calif. by TKO in the 2nd
· Uriah Hall, New York City, by unanimous decision over Andy Enz, Anchorage, Alaska
· Gilbert Smith, Colorado Springs, Colo., submitted Eric Wahlin, Taylorsville, Utah, in the 1st
· Luke Barnatt, Cambridge, Eng., by unanimous decision over Nicholas Kohring, Valley Springs, Calif.
· Dylan Andrews, Gold Coast, Aus., by majority decision over Tim Williams, Millville, N.J.
· Collin Hart, Santa Rosa, Calif., submitted Mike Jaspar, Camarillo, Calif., in the 1st
Team Sonnen won the coin toss, electing to pick first. Below are the final rosters, in order each was selected, are:
Team Jones, therefore had the option of the first fight pick and chose Gilbert Smith versus Team Sonnen’s Luke Barnatt.
The series resumes next Tuesday, January 29, on FX at 9 p.m. ET/PT (check local listings for Central and Mountain Time) In that episode – “Ambush” – 14 victorious middleweights move into the house, and training begins. A fighter gets emotional after his team shows serious doubts about his readiness. Then Barnatt and Smith face off in the first preliminary fight.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship®
Universally recognized for its action-packed, can’t-miss events that have sold out some of the biggest arenas and stadiums across the globe, the UFC®
is the world’s premier mixed martial arts (MMA) organization. Owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC, headquartered in Las Vegas and with offices in London, Toronto and Beijing, UFC
produces more than 30 live events annually and is the largest pay-per-view event provider in the world. In 2012, the UFC
burst into the mainstream with a landmark seven-year broadcast agreement with FOX Sports Media Group. The agreement includes four live events broadcast on the FOX network annually, with additional fight cards and thousands of hours of programming broadcast on FOX properties FX and FUEL TV. This also includes the longest-running sports reality show on television, The Ultimate Fighter®,
which now airs on FX.
In addition to its reach on FOX, UFC
programming is broadcast in over 145 countries and territories, to nearly 800 million TV households worldwide, in 30 different languages. UFC
content is also distributed commercially in the United States to bars and restaurants through Joe Hand Promotions, in English throughout Canada via Premium Sports Broadcasting Inc. and Australia via Main Event and in French throughout Quebec via Interbox. The UFC
also connects with tens of millions of fans through its website,UFC
.com, as well as social media sites Facebook and Twitter. UFC
President Dana White is considered one of the most accessible and followed executives in sports, with over two million followers on Twitter. Ancillary UFC
businesses include best-selling DVDs, an internationally distributed magazine, UFC
.TV offering live event broadcasts and video on demand around the world, the best-selling UFC
video game franchise distributed by THQ, and a new franchise in development with EA, UFC
Fight Club affinity program, UFC
festivals, branded apparel and trading cards.
FX is the flagship general entertainment basic cable network from Fox. Launched in June of 1994, FX is carried in more than 98 million homes. The diverse schedule features a growing roster of critically acclaimed and award-winning hit dramas series Sons of Anarchy
; the miniseries American Horror Story: Asylum
; the upcoming drama series The Americans
; the acclaimed hit comedy series It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
, The League
, Archer, Wilfred, BrandX with Russell Brand
, and Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell
; and the upcoming comedy Legit
. The network’s library of acquired box-office hit movies is unmatched by any ad-supported television network. FX’s other offerings include the acquired hit series Two and a Half Men
and How I Met Your Mother
and live sports with UFC
and NCAA football.
DONATE TO THE VICTIMS OF HURRICANE SANDY : www.redcross.org/donate
HELP STOP WORLD HUNGER: www.realcombatmedia.com/rcm-stop-world-hunger
LEARN HOW TO FIGHT, WORKOUT & IMPROVE ENDURANCE: RCM MMA & BOXING STORE
We are always looking for new talent for the fastest growing US and UK based, Combat website. We have openings for the following positions – Internet Sales Advertising, Boxing Correspondents, MMA Correspondents and voluntary Radio Correspondents. There are also plenty of advertising and sponsorship opportunities available on our website for your business
If you are a career minded individual and serious about starting a career or continuing your career in combat journalism, our contacts are below.