POLISH HEAVYWEIGHT CONTENDER
IZUAGBE UGONOH SIGNS WITH HAYMON SPORTS
Unique Fighter of Polish & Nigerian Descent Brings
Style, Strength and Power Into Heavyweight Division;
Will Make U.S. Debut in 2017
LAS VEGAS – December 1, 2016 – Haymon Boxing today announced that undefeated Polish heavyweight contender Izuagbe Ugonoh, has entered into an advisory agreement with Haymon Sports, LLC. Ugonoh, considered by many to be one of the division’s most unique and fast-rising international stars, is ready for the next step in the heavyweight landscape.
“This is my moment and 2017 is my year,” Ugonoh said. “I want to challenge myself and show the world how good I am. I believe the heavyweight division is wide open right now, and the top fighters are going to bring the best out of me. If I do what I’m supposed to do, I can see myself fighting for a world championship in the next 18 months.”
Ugonoh’s U.S. debut will take place in early 2017, with the opponent and venue to be determined.
The 30-year-old Ugonoh was born in Szczecin, Poland, to Nigerian parents, has a 17-0 record with 14 knockouts and is a former Polish kickboxing champion who took up boxing in 2010.
“Ugonoh fits in well with the current group of young heavyweights who are vying for supremacy in a division stacked with talent,” said Tim Smith, VP of Communication for Haymon Boxing. “We’re excited that he has selected Haymon Boxing to help him pursue his career aspirations.”
Ugonoh is trained by Kevin Barry, cornerman for heavyweight contender Joseph Parker and former heavyweight title challenger David Tua. Ugonoh has been training and fighting out of New Zealand with Barry for the last two years, as well as with Parker, who will meet Andy Ruiz for the vacant WBO heavyweight title in New Zealand on Dec. 17.
“We’ve had eight fights together. They’ve all been in New Zealand. He’s destroyed everything that we’ve put in front of him,” Barry said. “He’s been hugely responsible for the development of Joseph Parker. He’s a very gifted athlete. I could see that from the get go. With Joseph Parker getting his chance for a world title, now it’s Izu’s time to take his path to the world title.”
Ugonoh says he plans to train in Las Vegas, fight out of the U.S. and represent Poland.
“I was born in Poland. My family lives in Poland. I will always represent Poland,” Ugonoh said.
Ugonoh has a master’s degree from Jedrzej Sniadecki School of Physical Education and Sports in Gdansk, Poland. Focusing on becoming an elite, all-around fighter, he trained in kickboxing, boxing and martial arts.
Not afraid to step out of his realm, Ugonoh was a contestant on the past season of “Dancing With the Stars” in Poland, making it to the final two rounds.
“It was a lot of work,” he said. “I trained for 35 hours a week to dance for 1 minute 15 seconds on the show. Dancing was more work than boxing,” he laughed. “People laugh when I say that because they think I’m joking, but it was as much work as training camp. One of the key benefits is it improved my footwork in the ring.”
Now Ugonoh is ready to waltz to the top of the heavyweight division.
“I want to get to the big stage. New Zealand has 4 million people. Poland has 40 million people,” Ugonoh said. “The next step is to go to America, and the right people to go with is Haymon Boxing. We want to work with the best. I’m dedicated and hardworking. Right now it’s about finding the right people to be with to get to where I want to be.”
POLISH HEAVYWEIGHT CONTENDER IZUAGBE UGONOH SIGNS WITH HAYMON SPORTS
- DILLIAN WHYTE: BROWNE WON’T STOP MY WORLD TITLE CHARGE — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/03/dillian-whyte-browne-wont-stop-my-world-title-charge/Follow WHYTE: BROWNE WON’T STOP MY WORLD TITLE CHARGE ‘Body Snatcher’ determined to punch his ticket to the top table London, UK (March 24, 2018)– Dillian Whyte has got to the top of the bill the hard way – and he has no intention of letting Lucas Browne derail his path to World [...]
- Erislandy Lara vs. Jarrett Hurd Media Conference Call Transcript & Audio Recording — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/03/erislandy-lara-vs-jarrett-hurd-media-conference-call-transcript-audio-recording/Follow Erislandy Lara vs. Jarrett Hurd Media Conference Call Transcript & Audio Recording Click HERE for Audio Recording Leonard Ellerbe Hello, everyone. Thank you for joining our call today. We’re very excited. What a great card we have come April the 7th from Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. In the main event, we have [...]
- Reymart Gaballo Captures First World Championship with Unanimous Decision over Young in Florida — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/03/56033/Follow Gaballo Captures First World Championship with Unanimous Decision over Young in “Rumble at the Rock” at Seminole Hard Rock Hollywood Reymart “GenSan Assassin” Gaballo of General Santos City, Philippines, captured his first version of a world title and introduced himself to the world stage with a unanimous decision victory over perennial top contender Stephon “Showstopper” Young of St. [...]
- CANELO ALVAREZ IS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED AND GGG REMATCH IN JEOPARDY — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/03/canelo-alvarez-is-temporarily-suspended-and-ggg-rematch-in-jeopardy/Follow CANELO ALVAREZ IS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED AND GGG REMATCH IN JEOPARDY By ESPN Boxing Las Vegas, NV (March 25th, 2018)– The Nevada State Athletic Commission temporarily suspended Canelo Alvarez on Friday due to his two positive tests for the banned substance clenbuterol, commission executive director Bob Bennett told ESPN. The situation puts Alvarez’s scheduled [...]
- RYAN ‘THE FLASH’ GARCIA SCORES FIRST-ROUND KNOCKOUT WIN AGAINST FERNANDO VARGAS – VIDEO HIGHLIGHT — http://realcombatmedia.com/2018/03/ryan-the-flash-garcia-scores-first-round-knockout-win-against-fernando-vargas/Follow RYAN ‘THE FLASH’ GARCIA SCORES FIRST-ROUND KNOCKOUT WIN AGAINST FERNANDO VARGAS TO DEFEND JUNIOR NABF SUPER FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE IN MAIN EVENT OF GOLDEN BOY BOXING ON ESPN AT SOLD-OUT FANTASY SPRINGS RESORT CASINO IN INDIO, CALIF. EDDIE ‘EBOY’ GOMEZ BRUTALLY KNOCKS OUT KEANDRE ‘THE TRUTH’ GIBSON IN SECOND ROUND OF CO-MAIN EVENT (ABOVE: [...]