POLISH HEAVYWEIGHT CONTENDER
IZUAGBE UGONOH SIGNS WITH HAYMON SPORTS
Unique Fighter of Polish & Nigerian Descent Brings
Style, Strength and Power Into Heavyweight Division;
Will Make U.S. Debut in 2017
LAS VEGAS – December 1, 2016 – Haymon Boxing today announced that undefeated Polish heavyweight contender Izuagbe Ugonoh, has entered into an advisory agreement with Haymon Sports, LLC. Ugonoh, considered by many to be one of the division’s most unique and fast-rising international stars, is ready for the next step in the heavyweight landscape.
“This is my moment and 2017 is my year,” Ugonoh said. “I want to challenge myself and show the world how good I am. I believe the heavyweight division is wide open right now, and the top fighters are going to bring the best out of me. If I do what I’m supposed to do, I can see myself fighting for a world championship in the next 18 months.”
Ugonoh’s U.S. debut will take place in early 2017, with the opponent and venue to be determined.
The 30-year-old Ugonoh was born in Szczecin, Poland, to Nigerian parents, has a 17-0 record with 14 knockouts and is a former Polish kickboxing champion who took up boxing in 2010.
“Ugonoh fits in well with the current group of young heavyweights who are vying for supremacy in a division stacked with talent,” said Tim Smith, VP of Communication for Haymon Boxing. “We’re excited that he has selected Haymon Boxing to help him pursue his career aspirations.”
Ugonoh is trained by Kevin Barry, cornerman for heavyweight contender Joseph Parker and former heavyweight title challenger David Tua. Ugonoh has been training and fighting out of New Zealand with Barry for the last two years, as well as with Parker, who will meet Andy Ruiz for the vacant WBO heavyweight title in New Zealand on Dec. 17.
“We’ve had eight fights together. They’ve all been in New Zealand. He’s destroyed everything that we’ve put in front of him,” Barry said. “He’s been hugely responsible for the development of Joseph Parker. He’s a very gifted athlete. I could see that from the get go. With Joseph Parker getting his chance for a world title, now it’s Izu’s time to take his path to the world title.”
Ugonoh says he plans to train in Las Vegas, fight out of the U.S. and represent Poland.
“I was born in Poland. My family lives in Poland. I will always represent Poland,” Ugonoh said.
Ugonoh has a master’s degree from Jedrzej Sniadecki School of Physical Education and Sports in Gdansk, Poland. Focusing on becoming an elite, all-around fighter, he trained in kickboxing, boxing and martial arts.
Not afraid to step out of his realm, Ugonoh was a contestant on the past season of “Dancing With the Stars” in Poland, making it to the final two rounds.
“It was a lot of work,” he said. “I trained for 35 hours a week to dance for 1 minute 15 seconds on the show. Dancing was more work than boxing,” he laughed. “People laugh when I say that because they think I’m joking, but it was as much work as training camp. One of the key benefits is it improved my footwork in the ring.”
Now Ugonoh is ready to waltz to the top of the heavyweight division.
“I want to get to the big stage. New Zealand has 4 million people. Poland has 40 million people,” Ugonoh said. “The next step is to go to America, and the right people to go with is Haymon Boxing. We want to work with the best. I’m dedicated and hardworking. Right now it’s about finding the right people to be with to get to where I want to be.”
POLISH HEAVYWEIGHT CONTENDER IZUAGBE UGONOH SIGNS WITH HAYMON SPORTS
- Irvin Gonzalez vs. Raul Lopez “New England’s Future 3” June 10th in Worcester, MA — FOLLOW AND SHARE Irvin Gonzalez Starting to make waves in Super featherweight division “New England’s Future 3” June 10th in Worcester, MA WORCESTER, Mass. (May 24, 2017) – New England’s top prospect with 10 pro fights of less, undefeated hometown favorite Irvin Gonzalez, is on a fast track going into his June 10th headline fight [...]
- Dmitry Bivol and Cedric “L.O.W.” Agnew Added to Ward-Kovalev Undercard — FOLLOW AND SHARE Televised Light Heavyweight Battle Between Dmitry Bivol and Cedric “L.O.W.” Agnew Added to Ward-Kovalev Undercard Ward vs. Kovalev 2: “The Rematch” Set for Saturday, June 17 at Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas Presented Live by HBO Pay-Per-View® LAS VEGAS: Before fans at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las [...]
- MIGUEL COTTO JOINS GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS TO BATTLE YOSHIHIRO KAMEGAI — FOLLOW AND SHARE FOUR-DIVISION WORLD CHAMPION MIGUEL COTTO TO BATTLE FOR VACANT WBO WORLD JUNIOR MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP AGAINST YOSHIHIRO KAMEGAI SATURDAY, AUGUST 26 FROM STUBHUB CENTER IN CARSON, CALIF. TELEVISED LIVE ON HBO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® Press Conference and Ticket Information Coming Soon! LOS ANGELES (May 24, 2017): Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 [...]
- Former World Champions Omar Figueroa & Robert Guerrero Meet in Welterweight Brawl — FOLLOW AND SHARE Exciting Night of Action With Premier Boxing Champions on FOX & FOX Deportes Featured Saturday, July 15 Live in Primetime from NYCB LIVE’s Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Long Island Former World Champions Omar Figueroa & Robert Guerrero Meet in Welterweight Brawl Undefeated Contender Marcus Browne Faces Unbeaten Long Island Favorite Seanie [...]
- GEORGE GROVES – THIS IS MY BEST CHANCE TO BECOME WORLD CHAMPION AGAINST FEDOR CHUDINOV — FOLLOW AND SHARE GROVES: THIS IS MY BEST CHANCE TO BECOME WORLD CHAMPION ‘Saint’ meets Chudinov for WBA strap in Sheffield Sheffield, UK (May 23rd, 2017)– George Groves believes the time is right for him to be crowned World Champion when he meets Fedor Chudinov on Saturday, May 27 at Bramall Lane in [...]