POLISH HEAVYWEIGHT CONTENDER
IZUAGBE UGONOH SIGNS WITH HAYMON SPORTS
Unique Fighter of Polish & Nigerian Descent Brings
Style, Strength and Power Into Heavyweight Division;
Will Make U.S. Debut in 2017
LAS VEGAS – December 1, 2016 – Haymon Boxing today announced that undefeated Polish heavyweight contender Izuagbe Ugonoh, has entered into an advisory agreement with Haymon Sports, LLC. Ugonoh, considered by many to be one of the division’s most unique and fast-rising international stars, is ready for the next step in the heavyweight landscape.
“This is my moment and 2017 is my year,” Ugonoh said. “I want to challenge myself and show the world how good I am. I believe the heavyweight division is wide open right now, and the top fighters are going to bring the best out of me. If I do what I’m supposed to do, I can see myself fighting for a world championship in the next 18 months.”
Ugonoh’s U.S. debut will take place in early 2017, with the opponent and venue to be determined.
The 30-year-old Ugonoh was born in Szczecin, Poland, to Nigerian parents, has a 17-0 record with 14 knockouts and is a former Polish kickboxing champion who took up boxing in 2010.
“Ugonoh fits in well with the current group of young heavyweights who are vying for supremacy in a division stacked with talent,” said Tim Smith, VP of Communication for Haymon Boxing. “We’re excited that he has selected Haymon Boxing to help him pursue his career aspirations.”
Ugonoh is trained by Kevin Barry, cornerman for heavyweight contender Joseph Parker and former heavyweight title challenger David Tua. Ugonoh has been training and fighting out of New Zealand with Barry for the last two years, as well as with Parker, who will meet Andy Ruiz for the vacant WBO heavyweight title in New Zealand on Dec. 17.
“We’ve had eight fights together. They’ve all been in New Zealand. He’s destroyed everything that we’ve put in front of him,” Barry said. “He’s been hugely responsible for the development of Joseph Parker. He’s a very gifted athlete. I could see that from the get go. With Joseph Parker getting his chance for a world title, now it’s Izu’s time to take his path to the world title.”
Ugonoh says he plans to train in Las Vegas, fight out of the U.S. and represent Poland.
“I was born in Poland. My family lives in Poland. I will always represent Poland,” Ugonoh said.
Ugonoh has a master’s degree from Jedrzej Sniadecki School of Physical Education and Sports in Gdansk, Poland. Focusing on becoming an elite, all-around fighter, he trained in kickboxing, boxing and martial arts.
Not afraid to step out of his realm, Ugonoh was a contestant on the past season of “Dancing With the Stars” in Poland, making it to the final two rounds.
“It was a lot of work,” he said. “I trained for 35 hours a week to dance for 1 minute 15 seconds on the show. Dancing was more work than boxing,” he laughed. “People laugh when I say that because they think I’m joking, but it was as much work as training camp. One of the key benefits is it improved my footwork in the ring.”
Now Ugonoh is ready to waltz to the top of the heavyweight division.
“I want to get to the big stage. New Zealand has 4 million people. Poland has 40 million people,” Ugonoh said. “The next step is to go to America, and the right people to go with is Haymon Boxing. We want to work with the best. I’m dedicated and hardworking. Right now it’s about finding the right people to be with to get to where I want to be.”
POLISH HEAVYWEIGHT CONTENDER IZUAGBE UGONOH SIGNS WITH HAYMON SPORTS
- Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach Workout Quotes & Workout Video from Australia — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/06/manny-pacquiao-freddie-roach-workout-quotes-workout-video-australia/Follow Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach Workout quotes from Australia PACQUIAO VS. HORN AIRING LIVE IN CANADA THIS SATURDAY EXCLUSIVELY ON SUPER CHANNEL EDMONTON, Alberta, Canada (June 27, 2017) – World Boxing Organization (WBO) Welterweight World champion Manny “Pacman’ Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 KOs) and his Hall-of-Fame trainer, Freddie Roach, held a media workout today in [...]
- Jermall Charlo Meets Middleweight Contender Jorge Sebastian Heiland in World Title Eliminator — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/06/jermall-charlo-meets-middleweight-contender-jorge-sebastian-heiland-world-title-eliminator/Follow Unbeaten Former World Champion Jermall Charlo Meets Middleweight Contender Jorge Sebastian Heiland in World Title Eliminator Presented by Premier Boxing Champions on Saturday, July 29 from Barclays Center in Brooklyn Charlo vs. Heiland Featured on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® Live on SHOWTIME® Plus! Heavyweight Attraction Pits Former Title Challenger Gerald Washington Against Unbeaten [...]
- Unbeaten Prospect Miguel Cruz Drops Alex Martin Twice On His Way to Unanimous Decision in Bethlehem, Pa — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/06/unbeaten-prospect-miguel-cruz-drops-alex-martin-twice-way-unanimous-decision-bethlehem-pa/Follow Unbeaten Prospect Miguel Cruz Drops Alex Martin Twice On His Way to Unanimous Decision in Main Event of Premier Boxing Champions TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS on FS1 & BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportes Tuesday Night From Sands Bethlehem Events Center in Bethlehem, Pa. Clarence Booth Scores Fourth Round TKO Over Anthony Mercado in Welterweight [...]
- REAL COMBAT MEDIA UK: TED CHEESEMAN – I CAN BECOME TOP DOG IN BRITAIN — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/06/real-combat-media-uk-ted-cheeseman-can-become-top-dog-britain/Follow CHEESEMAN: I CAN BECOME TOP DOG IN BRITAIN Bermondsey talent believes Super-Welterweight division is wide open London, UK (June 27th, 2017)– Ted Cheeseman believes he can become a major player in the Super-Welterweight division if he can beat English champion Matthew Ryan in their British title eliminator at The O2 in [...]
- Michael Dutchover remains undefeated at “Path to Glory” in Ontario, CA — http://realcombatmedia.com/2017/06/michael-dutchover-remains-undefeated-path-glory-ontario-ca/Follow Michael Dutchover remains undefeated at “Path to Glory” in Ontario, CA ORANGE, Calif./PHILADELPHIA, Penn.(June 26, 2017) – Junior lightweight Michael Dutchover (5-0, 4 KOs) used an array of skills to defeat Miguel Carrizoza (10-2, 2 KOs) by unanimous decision from the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, Calif. Dutchover controlled the fight by mixing a powerful [...]